During today’s briefing, Governor JB Pritzker updated on efforts to get unemployment benefits to those who have lost jobs.
Beginning this weekend, the Governor’s office will discontinue weekend briefings other than releasing the daily medical data.
During Q&A, the Governor was asked the following questions:
- The Governor was asked if it is realistic that the State can reach 64,000 tests per day? The Governor did not answer the question other than noting supplies worldwide are hard to come by. The Governor also stated that he did not believe 64,000 test per day would be adequate.
- As it relates to “Restore Illinois” and when a decision is made to move from one phase to another, the Governor stated it is a healthcare decision and the Illinois Department of Public Health will make those decisions.
- When asked how the November general election fits into the “Restore Illinois” plan, the Governor stated it was important for the Assembly to pass a law allowing vote-by-mail for everyone.
- When asked if the Administration would be considering hospital bed availability in neighboring states – particularly downstate where the neighboring state hospital is closer than an in-state hospital- Dr. Ezike said they were not including that availability in their determinations.
- When asked when recovery numbers would be regularly updated, Dr. Ezike said IDPH would work to get that information on the website.
IRMA continues to receive reports of abusive confrontations with customers over customer failure to wear masks and the failure of local law enforcement to support their local retailers. These stories must be told. It is important that members share those reports with IRMA as they happen including when, where, and what. If possible, pictures or surveillance video would also be important. Please forward reports to Alec Laird.
FACE COVERINGS SUPPLIERS
In order to assist retailers in the procurement of facial coverings for employees, IRMA has created a place on it’s website. Retailers can review and contact the supplier of their choice on IRMA’s website.
ILLINOIS COVID-19 IMPACT UPDATE
Dr. Ngozi Ezike, MD, Director of the Illinois Department of Public Health announced 2,641 new cases in Illinois, including 138 additional deaths. IDPH is reporting a total of 70,873 cases, to date, including 3,111 deaths, in 97 of Illinois’s 102 counties.
Over the last 24-hours, the state has conducted 17,783 tests for a total of 379,043 to-date.
As of midnight last night, 4,862 individuals were hospitalized for COVID-19. Of those, 1,253 (25.77%) are in the ICU occupying 33.9% of the 3,695 staffed ICU beds. Of those, 766 (61.1%) are on ventilators or 20.35% of the 3,764 staff ventilators.
Additional information can be found here. COVID-19 stats by zip code can be found here.